Re: a.out formats, exec and amiga.

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Nov 28 1994 - 17:25:16 PST

[newsham@zang.kcc.hawaii.edu (Tim Newsham) writes:]

>Up till now I have been using NMAGIC format a.out files. The reason
>is that I have example code that uses NMAGIC (loadbsd for amiga) so
>I stuck with it. The format of my files are:

VSTa is designed assuming that the a.out format can be executed after simply
memory mapping its pages. It sounds like your format uses text relocated
for 0x1000 but offset 0x20 bytes in the file image. A simple but shameless
way to deal with this is to hack your DOS server so that files which start
with the magic a.out number are fiddled within dos_read() so that the file
layout appears to be page aligned.

Less desirable is to teach the VSTa VM system how to do unaligned I/O for
mapped files. You'll have to think hard concerning the page cache part.

The best strategy is probably to use the appropriate ld flags and generate
something with page aligned file organization.

                                        Andy