Re: forget about my patches for GCC 2.6.1 under VSTa.

From: Rob Savoye <rob_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Nov 10 1994 - 10:37:18 PST

       From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@soleil.serma.cea.fr>
       Subject: forget about my patches for GCC 2.6.1 under VSTa.

> Sorry, i didn't know about the existing patch on ftp.cygnus.com (an
> ftp server i didn't know about). I'm glad patches of GCC 2.6.1 for
> VSTa already exist. My patches were nearly untested (I hacked them in
> one evening, and i don't know much about VSTa or GCC internals), and
> other patches are porbably better.

  Not a problem! I'm glad you dove right in! The patch hasn't been out that
long, so it's not suprising most folks hadn't seen the patch. I'd welcome
your help in improving the current patch.

> I'm suprised that GNU distribution of binutils-2.5.2 mentions (and
> supports and knows about) VSTa, while GNU distribution of gcc-2.6.1
> don't mention VSTa. Why? Shouldn't the GNU distribution of GCC support

  Cygnus is the maintainer of the binutils, while Richard Kenner is the GCC
maintainer. This makes it harder to get patches in the FSF sources, but this
patch looks like it'll be accepted. The VSTa patches has been in our sources
for almost a year. The critical spot was LD, cause with a LD for VSTa cross,
you can use the native compiler on *BSD or Linux and then just link with
the VSTa cross compiler and you're there. One of these days I'll merge in
the libc changes and get a complete tool chain. Still thinking about GDB....

        - rob -