Server-based shared libraries

From: Jay Lepreau <lepreau_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Nov 07 1994 - 16:49:36 PST

Bryan Ford pointed me to your html-ized mail archives (pretty cool,
and cool stuff you're doing in VSTa). I noticed all the discussion in
August about shared libraries, including references to Spring's
server, and discussion about loss of rebinding flexibility and start
up slowness.

At Utah we also developed a server-based shared library system, based
on our OMOS server (Object/Meta-object Server), which offers
additional flexibility over Sun's. As a matter of fact, it was
presented at the same Usenix conference, Summer '93. The paper is
available by ftp on mancos.cs.utah.edu as papers/shlibs.ps.Z (or in
URL'ese file://mancos.cs.utah.edu/papers/shlibs.ps.Z).

OMOS is currently undergoing a drastic re-write. We plan to have a
snapshot available by the end of the year. It probably won't be
straightforward to make a production shared library system then, but
you might want to consider it in the future.

OMOS is also a crucial component of our Mach-related research project
into flexible and adaptive operating systems. That project's
home page is http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flexmach/.

(I'm not on the vsta list, nor is Doug Orr (dbo), the author of OMOS,
so reply personally if you have questions or comments.)