Problem getting VSTa 1.3.2 up

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Oct 12 1994 - 23:08:01 PDT

I'm trying to get VSTa up on my TI TravelMate 4000 notebook.
It has 8MB of memory, an IDE drive, and an Intel i486DX 25.
I know very little about VSTa and look at things from a Unix
perspective.

The problem is this: I run go.bat and it happily boots popping up
a login propt after a few seconds. If I enter bad logname/passwd
combinations it just loops (as expected). If I enter a valid (like
ken/ken) combination it locks up and doesn't respond. If I switch
consoles I can do the same again.

If I look at the process table before and after, it seems login
changes into an unnamed process in state RUN (spin-looping?).

I renamed inittab to something else and rebooted, so it dropped into
the testsh. Here's an example session:

% cd vsta/bin
New dir: /vsta/bin
% ls
[command list]
% run ps
ps:
Error code: -1
waits: no entry
%

At this point, if I drop into the debugger, pr shows another testsh.
One more appears each time I try to run something. In addition,
if I type "mount" with no args:

% mount
Usage: mount <namer-path || port> <mount-point>
pid 14 status 65536 user 0 system 0

Pid 14 was the testsh created by the last run. If I do this repeatedly,
eventually I type it in the original testsh, which then makes the system
drop into the kernel debugger.

As I said, I know nothing about VSTa, so I feel stumped. Is this related
to the problem of having to be in sys.sys to use shared libs? If so,
how do I add users to sys.sys (I don't really understand the passwd,
group and ids files)?

Thanks,