FPU Management for VSTa

From: Tan Pong Heng <tponghen_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Oct 09 1994 - 19:16:58 PDT

Hi, I just downloaded the 1.3.2 release of VSTa and was reading through
the kernel codes. I was actually looking for the support of FPU in the
codes as it was not supported (was it?) in 1.3.1. I realized that the
kernel saved the state of the FPU everytime it does a task switch! This
is definitely not necessary as most of the task would not be using the
FPU and so it is highly likely that a task using the FPU would not need
to save it's state at all. The Linux used a smarter scheme that it would
save the old state when a new task starts to use the FPU and caused a
FPU exception due to the TS bit. At this point it would save the state
to the last task used the FPU and restore the FPU state for the current
task (just like VSTa) and record that the current task is the last task
using the FPU so that the next exception can save the state properly.
The scheme is simple and it would save a lot of unnecessary saving of
FPU states which is not cheap (around 96 words?). I hope this scheme
would be implemented in the next release of VSTa.

--
Tan Pong Heng					Defence Science Organization
Project Leader					20 Science Park Drive, S(0511)