Re: More boot problems: Can't open /vsta/etc/inittab

From: <gary_shea_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Sep 27 1994 - 16:42:00 PDT

> >The init program is unable to open /vsta/etc/inittab. It's there.... as c:/vs
> >ta/etc/inittab

> Hmmm... something funny here. Can you provide your inittab?

I'll bring it in tomorrow...

> >Grep & I have looked throught the archives and have found no evidence
> >of this ever happening before. The connect just before the call to read_initt
> >ab (in init)
> >goes fine, then the open() inittab fails... and whatever testsh is, it never s
> >hows up.
>
> I'm puzzled. Usually you don't have init *and* testsh launching from
> boot.lst. It would work after a fashion, though.

Ooops sorry! You may not remember writing it, but if the open of inittab fails,
there is an automatic call to testsh -- it's not in the inittab at all. As per
Dave's comments, it may be that I'm going into testsh as I should, but that
it's not supporting my display?

> Anyway, you're saying that init successfully connected to fs/root (which is
> the connect right before the call to read_inittab()), which means your DOS
> filesystem is on-line. Is there any chance that the filesystem it's opening
> is the right one? Do you have more than one DOS filesystem around?

I have, to the best of my knowledge, only one fs. This is a 60M disk :)
And yes, the connection to fs/root goes ok. Sorry for the vagueness.

>From: Dave Hudson <dave@humbug.demon.co.uk>
>Which two servers are displaying syslog info? I suspect that there's a
>server dying somewhere, but without having the kernel compiled for a mono
>display you won't see the debugger messages.

>If you don't have the mono support let me know and I'll uuencode one and
>mail it to you - there are a couple of bug fixes in the kernels I'm running
>so maybe that will help as well :-)

I wish I could remember what the first syslog message was, but it looked
benign, and I totally forgot it. I could really use mono support. I'm hesitant
about switching kernels after I finally got all the source printed out :) but....
I would love to get this thing running. Thanks!

        Gary