Re: Looking for a project

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Sep 23 1994 - 07:47:10 PDT

[edm@gocart.eng.hou.compaq.com (Edward Mccreary) writes:]

>One thing I was thinking about was the buffer cache. Should this be
>written as a seperate server? I was thinking that if it was isolated
>from the ext2 code it could be used again to write a BSD FFS or Minix
>fs server. I think Dave Hudson mentioned that Mach does something
>similar.

I'd make it a library. Make sure it supports variable-length blocks (or
expect me to come in hacking on it as soon as you're done!). We should try
to make the interface allow multi-threading, even if you don't do that for
the first iteration.

>One other thing. Does the wd server work with a second IDE driver
>right now? I could have sworn that I read a comment saying not to
>try it but when I went throught the src to vsta last night I couldn't
>find it anywhere. It won't be an issue right away, I'm planning on
>writing server to work with a file in the same was vstafs and vfs does,
>but eventually I'd like to be able to read from my Linux partition.

Yup, I believe Dave got multiple IDE drives working. I'm thinking about
dumping the current state of the world as v1.3.2, just to let you all get
access to the work in progress. In most ways it's an improvement over
1.3.1, but I'm sure there are places where we've moved backwards. Send
private E-mail to me if you have strong feelings one way or the other.

                                                        Andy