Re: 3.5" 1.44 MByte FDD support

From: Dave Hudson <dave_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Apr 06 1994 - 12:46:57 PDT

Andrew Valencia wrote:

> [Dave Hudson <dave@humbug.demon.co.uk> writes:]
>
> >fd is reporting that it's found the drive and setting up the namer entry.
> >When I mount this at /dev I get my /dev/fd/fd0 entry, but as soon as I try
> >to access the drive I get dropped into the kernel debugger.
>
> This is most likely just the timer thread being terminated when the main
> thread decides to cancel the timeout for the floppy. Take out the
> dbg_enter() in os/kern/event.c for the case of un-handled events, and it'll
> run much better.

I couldn't find a dbg_enter() there, but a bit of tracing back allowed me
find my main problem in os/mach/trap.c (in function sendev). The floppy
seems to work fine except for when I take the diskette out of the drive and
then try to do something. If I miss the timeout period I end up in an
infinite loop :-(

> Now that we have adb(1) and debugging support, I think I'll be removing this
> for v1.3. It used to be very convenient for taking a look at why your user
> programs were dying, but adb is a better way to look anyway.

Do you mean just the kernel dissassembler? At the moment (although I know a
proc fs is being worked on) I don't know of another way of checking
thread/process IDs

                Regards,
                Dave