Re: Opinions on filesystem mount

From: Doug Konkin <konkin_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Apr 05 1994 - 22:05:02 PDT

Andrew Valencia writes:
> [larz@world.std.com (Mike A Larson) writes:]
>
> >>Can you tell me in what way it makes writing makefiles easier?
> >The absolute path names are the same so for both DOS and VSTa. Thus:
> > LDFLAGS = -L/libc -L/lib
> >Works for both DOS and VSTa.
>
> Couple issues mixed in here. When building from a source tree, you almost
> always want the source tree to use relative paths, so you can have multiple
> source trees, or do something weird in a source tree without impacting the
> "regular" tools. Thus, within the VSTa source I hope always to have things
> like -L../../libc and never an absolute path.

What I would suggest here, based on the work we did in developing big
systems with many variants, is to use paths relative to a moveable
root, i.e. something that can be represented by an environment
variable. If the top of the source tree is VSTAROOT, then the
libraries can be at $VSTAROOT/libc, and so on. We found that this
gave us the flexibility of relative paths, and the "safety" of
absolute paths.

> This leaves the question of where to place the "installed" binaries. Using
> the /lib and /bin paths can easily clash with other DOS C compiler
> environments. What if I added "make install" targets to the makefiles and
> placed the results in /vsta/lib and /vsta/bin (and /vsta/etc)? This would
> keep all the VSTa files (source, binary, and random support text files like
> the password file) within the single DOS directory /vsta, which seems tidier
> and less likely to clash with other DOS programs.
>
> Andy

You can do the same thing for binaries, putting them at a standard
place under the root of the tree, with "install" targets that will
move them from there to the proper place to be found in the running
system.

doug