Re: Opinions on filesystem mount

From: Dave Hudson <dave_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Apr 03 1994 - 06:38:20 PDT

> When I first made up a "root" filesystem, I mounted it as /vsta, as I
> figured it would be helpful to have distinct paths for VSTa stuff when
> co-existing in a DOS filesystem. Of course, in practice, the prefix is only
> there when running VSTa, so it would seem that all it does is add four bytes
> to each path being used. Would anybody mind if I mount the "root"
> filesystem in /, and thus move the standard directories to /lib, /bin, and
> so forth?

Yes please move it to / - I've been meaning to ask if this was possible :-)

> On another topic entirely, if somebody has a logic analyzer hooked to a PC,
> I would like to talk to you about doing some program counter sampling so I
> can get a histogram of CPU usage vs. code for some common things like
> message passing and context switching. Mike Larson gave me a little test
> program which shows a context switch time of ~155 microseconds on my 486 PC.
> This isn't great, but it really isn't that bad considering I've never gone
> back and optimized the context switch paths. If somebody could point me to
> hot spots it would make the task a lot easier.

I won't get chance to look at this until after my Easter break (Thursday or
Friday), but if you don't get any other offers let me know - there are a
couple of HP analysers in my lab at work (with 486 disasm modules if that's
any help).

Wouldn't it be possible to get a pretty good feel for this though by using
the interval timer - I'd hope that the couple of extra instructions
wouldn't foul the 486's pipelining too much and maybe just running INVD
after the initial timer read would set a good initial condition anyway?
From past experience of writing CPU benchmarks and speed checks starting
with a clean cache always seems a good idea.

                Regards,
                Dave