Re: New disciple

From: Roger Ivie <IVIE_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Mar 14 1994 - 14:52:49 PST

[Sorry, lost the attributions; my fingers got carried away]

> >I took a PC and unpacked vsta.tz in the root. Did the same with
> >standalone.tz. Of course gcc, tar, make was also copied. After
> >preceeding with the instructions in stand.README, I got an error when
> >doing 'run ls -l'.
>
> Use "cd" and "ls" (not "run ls"). If you don't see files, then the "run"
> command will not ever succeed. "cd" and "ls" are built into the standalone
> shell, which is what you run from the standalone configuration. You have to
> manually mount your DOS filesystem before you can see it--I think that's in
> the standalone instructions. Tell me more about what you see. Also spell
> out exactly what commands you used.

I, too, have been having trouble. Hopefully, I've done something wrong. Is
there a FAQ for the mailing list? Here's what I'm seeing:

        - I can only run the supplied DOS MAKE once; after that I get
          'packed file is corrupt' and have to reboot before I can run
          it again. This makes building everything a bit, um, difficult.
          Is there a better DOS MAKE that folks are using?

        - After unpacking vista_fs.tz and standalone.tz, I had a number
          of problems. I copied the root passwd entry and cloned it to
          a different account name, but it was behaving as if the env
          server wasn't working; the path didn't seem to be getting passed
          to children. Running make would give me 'gcc: invalid'.

        - I then cloned one of the example user accounts and modified it.
          Now the path works correctly, but the default directory doesn't
          work write. The compiler can't find header files in the default
          directory and ld can't create an output file in the default
          directory.

As with the other new disciple, I don't know what to expect. I may not have
everything set up correctly. I have used neither Plan 9 nor QNX...

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu