A filesystem philosophy question

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <nick_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Mar 09 1994 - 20:30:11 PST

>In porting ar(1), I ran into quite a neat little problem. ar(1) uses
>rename(2) to change the name of a file. How do you do that in VSTa?

Hmm. It's a sticky problem, and actually, it's not just the file
system we need to think about. Ideally, we want a scheme that can
name an object in VSTa, and let that object be renamed, moved,
deleted, etc. etc. Things like processes, ports, etc. could be
candidates for such operations.

I have a feeling that we should define some protocol used for such
actions; it would be very useful for other things besides file
systems (for example, having named ports etc).

Such a change might require quite a lot of work though... depending on
how far we want to take the idea of "object".