Re: VSTa FAT problems

From: Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga <humberto_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Feb 25 1994 - 09:15:24 PST

    AV> [Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga
    AV> <humberto%annexstein@annexstein.csm.uc.edu> writes:]
>> experiments with VSTa cause kernel panics when I write to the
>> filesystem:

    AV> Oops, I bet your kernel stayed up. Of course, if the only

Actually, it did, but dumped me to the debugger.

>> file rw.c line 253. I don't know which rw.c though ;-) (I
>> assumed the dosfs rw.c).

    AV> It probably dropped you into the kernel debugger (with DEBUG,
    AV> the kernel currently drops into the debugger so you can look
    AV> around). A "pr" command would list the running/runnable
    AV> procs; the one with state O would be the one who has just
    AV> taken an un-handled event).

Yes, that's what I guessed, it worked nicely.

    AV> Well, I would have observe that my DOS filesystem code (I
    AV> wrote it from scratch) is a little more immature than
    AV> Microsoft's. I've been over the code a lot, since it's the
    AV> most heavily used filesystem. But obviously after a while you
    AV> start to see what you "know" is there, thus it's very helpful
    AV> for others to take a look.

I'll see if I can get a sparc hosted cross compiler going and give it
a shot with the patched dos fs code, that way at least my wife's
laptop should be able to self host. I don't know if I can grok the
filesystem code enough to make a difference though.

Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga zuazaga@ucunix.san.uc.edu