Re: timer notification

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Feb 01 1994 - 12:54:47 PST

[larz@world.std.com (Mike A Larson) writes:]

>I'm about to implement request timeouts in the SCSI driver and I would
>get ideas on the best way to notify a process that a timer has expired.
>Notification could be either via a message or a signal. However, I don't
>see SIGALRM in <signal.h>. Is there a way, short of writing a timer
>server, of requesting the delivery periodic time based messages?
>Thanks.

Yes, you fire up a thread and have him sleep() and then pop off a message
to your main server port. The floppy driver does this, although he kills
off the thread each time he wants to cancel the timeout interval. It would
be much more efficient to just leave the thread around, and accept the
periodic time messages.

                                                Andy