Re: Rewind missing?

From: Dave Hudson <dave_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Feb 02 1994 - 01:21:29 PST

Andrew Valencia wrote:

> [Dave Hudson <dave@humbug.demon.co.uk> writes:]
>
> >I'm doing some work with bfs at the moment. While I was modifying the
> >makefiles for "cmd/mkfs.c" I found that there's an unreferenced symbol
> >kicking around - there doesn't appear to be a "rewind" function in the 1.2
> >release.
> >For the moment I guess I'll just replace the code with something like
> >fseek(fd, 0, SEEK_SET);
>
> In fact, maybe I should just add a #define of rewind to fseek(...).
> But I'm curious how BFS compiled in the past? Maybe one of our massive
> libc cleanups made it go away.

Ah, making the bfs server didn't force the bfs cmd code to be built, and
that's where the problem was.

FWIW, I found a far more serious problem in the bfs block allocation code
which makes me suspect that it's had some changes done to it without much
testing - the problem caused every other write request to fail, so any file
< 16 kbytes is fine, but anything bigger got messed up. I fixed this, but
rather than send patches I'm waiting til I finish the changes I'm doing to
support using the fs as a real boot filesystem (I'm trying to make the block
management code track all free space, not just the space at the end of the
filesystem).

                Dave