Re: My FS Problem

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 08:42:57 PST

[Martin_Doering@mn.man.de writes:]

>Here is the error message from my filesystem problem. It says:
>syslog: dos (pid 7) emergency: Assertation failed rw.c/165:
>pack_name: null in extension

Yes, so you have a filename in your root directory which is not a VFAT
entry, and yet has non-ASCII characters in it. That shouldn't be legal, but
if things otherwise look sane, you can just disable the ASSERT_DEBUG in
pack_name in the DOS server, and it'll ignore the problem.

>If you want, I could make some tests (if you tell me which) or you could
>send me a changed server and I will test it, but I do not understand
>enough, to change it by myself. I also have no developement environment
>under VSTa set up (because it is not stable for me yet)

Well, the reason that assert blows the DOS server away is that my
philosophy (especially with filesystems) has been to do no harm. And when
the DOS server sees an inexplicable directory entry, it can't be sure that
any of its other actions are OK, either. I'm assuming you've scandisk'ed
this filesystem from DOS/Windoze and it's clean?

I can build a version without this assertion, but you should definitely run
the filesystem with -r (read-only) until it seems like it's OK in general.
And even then, of course, have backups!

Andy