Re: problems with 1.64

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 16:24:15 PST

["Eric Jacobs" <Eric_Jacobs@fc.mcps.k12.md.us> writes:]

>>1. All binaries (vi, emacs, less) that use termcap.a don't work in the
>>vsta.tz archive. I've recompiled some of these using termcap.a from
>>1.62 and they work OK. I haven't managed to successfully download the
>>1.64 sources so I don't know whats wrong with the termcap library.
>I had the same problem and I was wondering the same thing.

termcap became a DLL in 1.6.4, so no doubt this is at the heart of things.

That said, I haven't been able to reproduce this problem here on either of
my test machines. If somebody could use gdb to plod through the execution
and and tell me what I got wrong, I'd be happy to fix it. Or, if things
were working well enough otherwise, put a VSTa machine on the net and let me
telnet into it to debug the problem remotely.

>>2. I've installed VSTa 1.64 on an IBM Thinkpad 240 laptop, on a FAT16
>>LBA drive (first primary partition). Files in the vsta directory seem
>>OK but if I do "ls /" I get an error:
>>syslog: dos (pid 7) emergency: Assertion failed rw.c/165: pack_name null
>>in extension
>Hmm... extension anomaly in the root dir. My guess is that
>it's the volume label which just uses the extension field as
>part of the label, if I recall. If it's padded with zeroes, that
>would cause the error.

Just another thought:

I've found a /windows/temp subdir which causes me trouble... it's located
way up high in a 4gig filesystem. Run another copy of "dos" under gdb
on that filesystem (use -r to make sure you don't scribble on it) and
break in dos_readdir(). Then step along until things go bad, and see if you
can figure out where it got its data.

Andy