Re: Open Source Plan 9 Release

From: Erik Dalen <erik_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 21:27:42 PDT

What will happen with VSTa now?
I mean after all the making of VSTa was motivated by the fact that plan 9
wasn't open source.

I suppose this could accelerate the development of VSTa a great deal. But
we might have to start thinking about beaing more plan 9 compatible as a
lot of people will probably start using plan 9 now and it would be really
neat to have some compability with them. How much redoing would it require
to start using the plan 9 file protocol instead of VSTa's for example?
Perhaps a port of this new Rio GUI they're talking about could be nice. Or
at least make graphics servers for VSTa that use the same graphics
model/protocol (Porter-Duff compositing algebra?). That's something I
would really like to see but I haven't read the license yet so I'm not
quite sure of how much we're allowed to "steal".

/Erik