(no subject)

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 07:17:51 PST

[Brett McCoy <bmccoy@bbnplanet.com> writes:]

>Everything is happy and grub is able to read all of the files okay. But,
>it crashes with "Boot process 3 dies".
>_do_exit
>_sendev
>_check_events
>As far as I can tell the 'dos' driver is failing. But I'm not sure how to
>get any diagnostics to determine what's causing it to die.

Usually PID 3 is namer. Since namer doesn't need anything external (he's
basically a RAM-based filesystem) this may indicate that your modules didn't
get loaded in intact, or something to that effect.

A "tf" (in the kernel debugger) should tell you the trap frame which sent
the process into the kernel. From the backtrace, I'm guessing it's a SEGV
or somesuch. It'll also tell you the program counter, and give you an idea
of where in the process it croaked. Finally, you can OR in 0x80000000 with
the PC value, and do "di <addr>" to look at the faulting instruction.

>(hd0,0) is a bootable disk image and currently has dos installed on it and
>I am able to boot it fine, so I don't think it's a problem with a corrupt
>disk or partition table. Grub sees it fine also and has no problem
>traversing the directory tree.

Yeah, probably a corrupt image of the namer executable (unlikely), or else
it got corrupted while being loaded. Those would be my first guesses, but
figuring out why the program croaked will provide more clues.

Andy