(no subject)

From: Brett McCoy <bmccoy_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 22:38:08 PST

I'm trying to boot vsta 1.6.2 under vmware. I'm using the latest grub
image on a real floppy and entering the following on the command line:

        root= (hd0,0)
        kernel= /vsta/boot/vsta
        module= /vsta/boot/cons
        module= /vsta/boot/namer
        module= /vsta/boot/wd d0:readp
        module= /vsta/boot/dos -d //disk/wd:wd0_dos0 -n fs/root
        module= /vsta/boot/init
        boot

Everything is happy and grub is able to read all of the files okay. But,
it crashes with "Boot process 3 dies". A 'btr' doesn't give anything that
seems useful to me. I can't cut and paste it, but it's pretty much:

_trace
_do_cmd
_dbg_main
_dbg_enter
_do_exit
_sendev
_check_events
_trap called from _trap_common

As far as I can tell the 'dos' driver is failing. But I'm not sure how to
get any diagnostics to determine what's causing it to die.

(hd0,0) is a bootable disk image and currently has dos installed on it and
I am able to boot it fine, so I don't think it's a problem with a corrupt
disk or partition table. Grub sees it fine also and has no problem
traversing the directory tree.

Any hints for where to start looking?

++Brett;