Re: VSTa update

From: Major <major_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 12:28:54 PST

I think you have a minor misunderstanding of the FB support. The Linux kernel
text attribute support is not the same as the framebuffer.

The Kernel level framebuffer is a full graphics driver (non-acceperated) to a
graphical device .. it has very little to do with text support. When your
running a "text console" in FB, you actually running "emulated text" .. or
rather .. rendered text. With framebuffer there is very little need for the
svgalib at all. Acceleration of the device can still be done via user land
interfaces. Perhaps a quote from the kernel's docs on the framebuffer can
describe this better then my tired mind can.

----
The frame buffer device provides an abstraction for the graphics hardware. It
represents the frame buffer of some video hardware and allows application
software to access the graphics hardware through a well-defined interface, so
the software doesn't need to know anything about the low-level (hardware
register) stuff.
The device is accessed through special device nodes, usually located in the
/dev directory, i.e. /dev/fb*.
---
Part of the design flaws with the old ggi was basicly it attempted to shuv a
nasty chunk of bloat into kernel land.  The newly revised ggi family breaks it
down into the KGI (framebuffer patches) and the libggi .. where libggi is
capable of locating the best "interface" for the job.  It will attempt KGI,
FB, X, svgalib .. (I think in that order but I havn't beat on it in so long I
forget).
Anyway .. the linux kernel FB is an abstract interface to a graphics adapter
that allows for the userland application to supply it's own acceleration.
Thusly a new svgalib, or libggi, or X11 need supply the graphical acceleration
for the FB device.  Linux FB is not a textmode thing at all.

--
        "That is precisely what common sense is for, to be jarred into
         uncommon sense."