Re: some questions

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 11:07:53 PDT

[edmundo@rano.demon.co.uk writes:]

>Has VSTa been tested with SMP yet?

Nope, it needs some new code first.

>Does it work with more than 16 MB
>of memory yet?

Yes, delta some bugs reported while exercising the floppy. IDE (and any
other programmed I/O) has worked fine for ages.

>How do I set up swap?

There's a lot on this in the mail archives.

>How do I use the network? By randoming messing around, running ne and
>ka9q from the shell, I got stuff I typed on another machine to appear
>on the machine running VSTa, so it seems possible with my hardware,
>but I couldn't get telnetd to work so that I could actually log in.

You have to launch telnetd as root, so it can assume your login ID.

>Is the following problem already known, or solved?
> Assertion failed line 374 file ../kern/vm_page.c
> set_core: bad index
>I got this once by typing "ps" in one console while making ka9q in
>another console. I can get it reproducibly by malloc-ing an array of
>10000000 char and writing to the array.

You ran out of memory.

>What does "perm" mean? It keeps appearing.

Probably an exit status of 1 from some command.

>Is it possible to download an archive of the mailing list? It's
>cheaper for me to browse off-line.

In addition to the archives in http://www.zendo.com/vsta/, there's also
"Vsta[0-9]*.gz" files in the distribution area, which are archives of text
going all the way back.

>The man pages for msg_port and msg_connect give the wrong return type
>in the prototype. The man page for msg_portname gives the wrong
>function name, and a different return type from include/sys/msg.h, but
>in this case I assume the include file is wrong?

I'll look into this.

>If there is a discussion anywhere of how VSTa's IPC primitives were
>chosen, I'd be interested to read it. What are the advantages and
>disadvantages compared with the IPC in L4/Fiasco, for example?

VSTa pre-dates these OS's (by quite a bit, I think), so it's never come up.
By the time they were making their decisions VSTa was already pretty much
written.

Andy