Re: vstafs installation

From: Eric Jacobs <Eric_Jacobs_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 14:25:32 PST

>Take a look at a "rcsdiff -r1.12 -r1.13 rw.c" in vsta/src/srv/dos. I
>probably have the same bug in vstafs (since I wrote both filesystems,
and
>probably cribbed from DOS when I wrote vstafs). I'll play with it
some more
>soon, but if you have the time, it might be a fun bug to nail.

Andy,

I did the rcsdiff, and it looks like it deals with the behavior when
you seek
beyond the end of the file. It simply writes zeros in 1024-byte chunks
until the real eof catches up with the new eof. I could try to
transplant this
behavior to vstafs, but since this is really is supposed to create a
sparse
file, I am wondering if vstafs has a mechanism to deal with sparse
files.
All one would need to do is mark down the bytes skipped, and be sure to
read in all zeros when that sparse block (or sparse extent, I guess) is
read again.

Eric