vstafs installation

From: Eric Jacobs <Eric_Jacobs_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 18:18:44 PDT

I am trying to set up a vstafs partition so I can work completely
(well, almost completely) off of vstafs. It's been pretty smooth so
far, but I'm having a strange problem with gcc (specifically gas). I
compile

int main(void) {
     return 0;
}

with gcc -S and get test.s. That part works fine no matter which file
system I'm on. The result is:

     .file "test.c"
gcc2_compiled.:
___gnu_compiled_c:
.text
     .align 2
.globl _main
_main:
     pushl %ebp
     movl %esp,%ebp
     call ___main
     xor %eax,%eax
     jmp L1
     .align 2,0x90
L1:
     leave
     ret

Now, when I as it under dos it works. But when vstafs is mounted as
root, I get the following:

GNU assembler version 2.8.1 (i386-aout-vsta)
test.s: Assembler messages:
test.s:8: Error: invalid character '%' before (null) operand
test.s:9: Error: invalid character '%' before (null) operand
test.s:10: Error: invalid character '_' before (null) operand
test.s:11: Error: invalid character '%' before (null) operand
perm

I copied the entire directory structure from the dos to the vstafs so I
know that's not the problem. I've granted read access to everyone, plus
I'm running as usr.root, because I thought that vstafs's security
provisions were the problem but they weren't. I've looked for
capitalization problems and truncated filenames that are sometimes a
problem moving from dos to vstafs, but I didn't find any. I've added
debug code to both servers that log FS_OPEN calls to see what's being
done differently, but I'm stumped.

Also, the problem still comes up even if the .s file is located in the
/tmp filesystem (which is what usually happens with the gcc front-end),
you just get /tmp/cc000110.s or something like that. So it's something
in the directory tree somewhere. The only thing I haven't checked out
is the dos CR/LF stuff.

Anyone have any ideas?