Re: please help: booting vasta fails with "boot process x dies"

From: roman puls <puls_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sat May 02 1998 - 10:43:11 PDT

Hi Andy, [and all the other folks,]

>>module= /vsta/boot/dos -p disk/wd:wd0_dos0 fs/root
>
>Change this to "-d //disk/wd:wd0_dos0 -n fs/root".
>
>>after looking into the sources, I assume that the WD driver is having
>>problems with my harddisk. But I have no Idea why the boot processes die.
>
>The usage complaint message gets hidden behind the drop into the kernel
>debugger. Try with the new arguments and see if it fixes things.

thank you for the fast response! Everything is working fine now!
vsta starts up and I can login.

After reading the mail-archives there still are questions:

1) it seems as every access to the harddisk is _very_ slow. It took my
machine 3-4 seconds from

"less readme"

until the first line is displayed. The command "ls" takes a lot of time to
react, too.
Is the FAT-filesystem as slow or is this behaviour machine (/hd) -dependent?
(actually i use a pentium 200 with a fast hd)

2) does there is an actual todo-list? could only find elder ones in the
mailing-archive. Im interested in doing some network stuff ;)

3) Just a remark: the installation tutorial on the website is probably
outdated (http://www.zendo.com/vsta/Tutorial/Install.html).

have a nice day
  roman