(no subject)

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Oct 19 1997 - 12:00:02 PDT

[drgeorge@ilt.com (Dr_George_D_Detlefsen) writes:]

>I had problems with using large FAT file systems. The VSTA 'dos' does
>not seem to like FAT file systems larger than 127 mega bytes. It seems
>to require 2048 byte cluster sizes. With a larger FAT file system,
>the screen is cleared and 'init' cannot open '/vsta/etc/inittab'. There
>is an extra screen clear which wipes out the syslog trace. One has
>to have a 'fast' eye to discern that 'dos' apparently mounts the
>FAT filesystem, but it does not work.

Can you check to see if it's FAT-32? I know for a fact there's code to be
added to the DOS server before that format will work. I use DOS
partitions much greater than 127 megs, but I bet a FAT-32 type of
system will default to FAT-32 at around that size, and that will break
the DOS server.

>I have been unable to get the VFS filesystem to work using the directions
>in the FAQ. I made an 'Extended DOS Partition" with a D: drive. I can
>do the inital 'mount' and 'stat' and 'mkfs_vfs'. However the
>subsiquent 'vstafs' and 'mount' commands do not complain, but
>there is no file system. I can not 'cd' to it, or 'ls' it or copy a file
>to it with 'cp'

Check to see if something's really mounted there with "fstab". It should
show a mount entry. Kill the vstafs, and now fstab should report a port
number of -1 instead. This is an easy way to ensure the server you expect
is mounted in your namespace where expected.

>The sx386 has a NE2000 clone ethernet card. The 'ne' server finds it
>and does not report any errors. I edited '/vsta/etc/autoexec.net' to
>use local ip address, hostname, and domain. The 'net' command is
>run, but I cannot 'ping' the sx386 from a UNIX host or ping the UNIX
>host.

Try pinging the host from VSTa, and use "netstat -i" from the UNIX side to
see if the packets are arriving, and are being returned. I think "netstat
-p icmp" should tell you if it thinks they are ICMP echoes it sees,
otherwise "netstat -p ip" might show invalid checksum packets, or
something along those lines.

                                                        Andy