Re: VSTa native boot

From: Kevin Van Maren <vanmaren_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 07:33:53 PDT

> Hmm... do you think there is a need for me to fix the VSTa boot image
> tools to work with this new kernel location expectation? If I fix it, then
> you will also be able to create a LILO compatible boot image which can be
> launched from LILO or GRUB as a single image.

We use multiboot extensivly here in the Flux group. We have tools
that we have developed that give us a lot of flexibility:
we can take a multiboot kernel and an arbitrary number of additional
files and link them with a wrapper which allows it to be booted by BSD
bootblocks. We can do the same for Linux and Lilo, as well as boot from DOS.

We also have a `netboot' kernel: this is a 2nd level bootloader that
loads a kernel over NFS. The newest versions of these tools should be
available soon.

> I already have GRUB installed anyhow. Now the only complication is that
> one of the nicest parts about grub is it's ability to directly read
> filesystems, however, it won't be able to read VSTa FS. So that means
> either a FAT based VSTa, or a FAT boot partition, or giving Grub specific
> location information for booting images.

I'm sure Erich isn't opposed to having Grub support VSTa FS. ;)

Kevin