Re: VSTa native boot

From: David Jeske <jeske_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 23:15:32 PDT

On Thu, Sep 25, 1997 at 08:55:54PM -0700, Andrew Valencia wrote:
> Well, after a bit of work, I have VSTa converted to using the Multiboot
> specification:
>
> http://www.uruk.org/~erich/grub/boot-proposal.html
>
> and have it booting without having to use DOS/Windows 95, instead using the
> Multiboot compliant boot loader "GRUB" (GRand Unified Bootloader):

Great!

> This is a very nice little bootloader which can boot FreeBSD, DOS, Windows
> 95, NT, Hurd, Linux, and now, VSTa. In converting to use it, I moved VSTa
> so the kernel and boot tasks are above the 1 meg mark. Thus, the old
> limitations of making the kernel and boot tasks all fit in 640k is now
> history, too. Finally (!), GRUB can handle compressed images, so there are
> definite possibilities for packing a whole bunch of VSTa tasks onto a
> bootable floppy.

Hmm... do you think there is a need for me to fix the VSTa boot image
tools to work with this new kernel location expectation? If I fix it, then
you will also be able to create a LILO compatible boot image which can be
launched from LILO or GRUB as a single image.

> Assuming everybody is up for grappling with a new bootloader scheme, I think
> VSTa 1.6 will be ready to roll shortly.

I already have GRUB installed anyhow. Now the only complication is that
one of the nicest parts about grub is it's ability to directly read
filesystems, however, it won't be able to read VSTa FS. So that means
either a FAT based VSTa, or a FAT boot partition, or giving Grub specific
location information for booting images.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + jeske@chat.net