Re: PCI?

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Nov 24 1995 - 11:45:44 PST

On Nov 24, 12:16am, Pai-Hsiang Hsiao wrote:
> I ported the code of PCI configuration from NetBSD, and implemented as
> a user level process on VSTa. Everything went fine, and I am trying to
> write more serious codes.

I went through this a few months ago, except I ported Linux's PCI
support. It worked well - I just mapped the PCI BIOS32 into a VSTa
address space, and I could happily call it from user mode and probe the
bus and devices. Does the BSD code use the BIOS, or does it directly
fiddle with the PCI chipset?

> So, the first question is, how I implement this part, as a server or a
> part of kernel?

While I haven't used it for anything yet, my feeling is that it is
probably most useful as a library. If you have a server which is a
driver for a PCI device, then it probably already has/needs all the
privileges necessary for calling the PCI Bios and so on. There's no
real need for it to be a server - its just extra overhead. There's
certainly no need for it to be in th kernel.