Re: Font naming conventions

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Oct 25 1993 - 19:45:39 PDT

># From nick@nsis.cl.nec.co.jp Tue Oct 26 06:46:34 1993
># Does anyone have any comments on the font naming conventions to be
># used in bitblt/MADO? For the moment, I'm just giving arbitrary name,
># for example:
>#
># courier_bold_oblique_12pt
>#
># The current design allows me to change naming schemes easily, so if
># someone has information on the "right" way of doing it, please
># comment. X11 font naming seems to work well, but I think it's overly
># complex...
>#

I don't know enough of MADO. Is there a README about it? I only
followed the discussion, and gave some comments (mostly based on my
previous NeWS and X11 experience). Does it have scalable fonts or only
fixed height fonts? Hoping that it will have some day scalable fonts,
i'll suggest that a font name should be more than a simple character
string. For instance, it could be a tuple (or a sequence) of strings.
Then, a naming scheme like X11 one would be easier, and would not rely
upon naming conventions (like the use of - sign to separate naming
components). Name matching would be also extended.

I also think that dynamically adding font aliases is an important
thing. This would incorporate some X11 resources usage into the font
naming scheme. I mean that: at initialization time (when the window
server starts up, or when the user starts using it) an alias would be
added: normal_user_font -> courier_bold_oblique_12pt. And most
applications would only use the normal_user_font name, not the full
courier_bold_oblique_12pt.

Basile STARYNKEVITCH ---- Commissariat a l Energie Atomique
DRN/DMT/SERMA * C.E. Saclay bat.470 * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
fax: (33) 1- 69.08.23.81; phone: (33) 1- 69.08.40.66
email: basile@soleil.serma.cea.fr; homephone: (33) 1- 46.65.45.53

Linuxing at home only, and not yet VSTa-ling.

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are solely mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.