Re: Character encoding

From: Pat Mackinlay <pat_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Oct 07 1993 - 00:19:11 PDT

> Does anyone have any comments on character encoding in VSTa. I think
> it is easy to say that fixed width characters (like 16bit) are out
> because they'll cause everything to grow too much. That leaves us with

Sorry, I'm no expert, but the idea of a multibyte representation really
turns me off. Surely a uniform 16 bit character set is easier to deal with
than a multibyte one (in terms of programming)? Ok, so it might be less
efficient in terms of space, but I think you'd pay for that in terms of
code complexity with the alternative...

And if we did use a 16 bit character set, Unicode is the obvious choice...