Character encoding

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <nick_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Oct 06 1993 - 23:28:20 PDT

Does anyone have any comments on character encoding in VSTa. I think
it is easy to say that fixed width characters (like 16bit) are out
because they'll cause everything to grow too much. That leaves us with
a multibyte representation. Does anyone have any preferences, and code
to convert from multibyte to unsigned or long? (I have a package that
was posted on the *.sources group recently called runes, and I have
the stuff from the sam.bundle). I plan to have bitblt work with
runes/glyphs, so we need to incorporate such code into libc before too
long.

Personally, I am in favor of just using utf2, but the runes package
can handle euc, and a few other besides. Shall we just put that
package into libc? Also, is there any online documentation on the UTF
mappings? One thing I'm wondering about is how to handle function
keys, arrows etc. with UTF. I assume they just use the normal escape
sequences?

nick

PS. I have plans (at some time or another) to include a FEP into the
basic input system of bitblt. I don't know whether I'll put it into
the keyboard server or not; though that has the benefit of allowing
multilingual text to be input easily.