help with dos boot strapping environment ?

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <nick_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Sep 20 1993 - 16:05:52 PDT

>I was using SVR4.2 (Unixware) on which I had a patched the source files, then
>I tarred them up copied them to a dos partition from which I tried to untar
>them using djtarx (under MS-DOS 6 not DOS-MERGE).

Hmm. SYSV tar doesn't work well for some tar files (even if created
under Unix). If you can, use gtar to create and unpack tar files that
go to or from DOS.

Note that I do not use djtarx. I use a tar called tar4dos (I think).
It's OK, except that it hangs if it can't find the tar file specified
(it tries to skip ahead on stdin...). I should also metion that the
patch supplied with djgpp corrupted some of my files, so that is also
something to be careful of.

On simtel, there are a lot of unix tools for DOS of varying quality.
If you sift through them, you should get what you need. I remember
something called picnix that looked good...

nick