Re: Bootstrapping vsta

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Aug 17 1993 - 17:13:26 PDT

> I've finally gotten my disk cleaned up enough to get vsta loaded on the
> system - now for bootstrapping. From the "roadmap.txt" I assumed that
> a bootable kernel existed on the root.t file, but I can't find it. Now
> looking things over, I have figured out that things (like some drivers)
> need to be configured per system, so I guess I need to build a kernel.

Nope. No drivers in the kernel. You *do* have to configure parameters
for the arguments to the programs which will be running when the system
first starts. But to save space, I don't distribute a kernel binary, so
you have to build it anyway. :-) The part about configuring the parameters
should lead you to the file boot/boot.lst, which (sort of) documents itself.

> Ok, no problem... I seem to have a gcc compiler but it's a vsta, not
> a DOS version, uh oh - back to my problem with bootstrapping. Is the
> "DJ Delorie" compiler the DOS gcc that I need to get things built? I
> couldn't find binaries on the gcc.tz tar file, is this where it should
> be built from, or is there another source for this compiler...?

Yes, the gcc supplied is for native VSTa compiling. To build from DOS
you need to get the djgpp compiler package ("DJ Delorie"). My favorite
place to pull it is barnacle.erc.clarkson.edu from /pub/msdos/djgpp.
VSTa has run with older versions, I'm hearing some rumblings about middle
versions though I haven't seen it myself, and the latest version works just
fine. Clarkson tends to have the latest, so you should be OK. Install
djgpp, then go back to bootstrapping.

I will ponder clarifying the native vs. host issue when I go back and
edit the roadmap for the next release.

                                Regards... Andy