Re: "terminal" problem with vi from vstafs root

From: D.Jeske <jeske_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Jul 09 1995 - 16:50:25 PDT

> >I just got a vstafs root partition up and running. I can login and
> >compile and everything is fine... except that when I run vi, it complains
> >about "nansi" is not a valid terminal type. However, when I change the
> >TERM variable to "ansi" (by changing the global TERM in /env) it then
> >says "ansi" is not a valid terminal type even though it is...
>
> Have you tried:
>
> echo -n ansi > /env/jeske/TERM
>
> to see what happens?

I actually did: echo -n ansi > /env/TERM

Before doing that it tells me that "nansi" is not found, and then lists a
bunch of others that I should use. After doing that it just says:

OOPS
   OOPSterminal entry not found

> Watch out for ^M's at the end of lines. -ltermcap should probably protect
> itself against this; right now, it uses read() to get the whole database
> file, which is not a programming interface which maps ^M^J into ^J (this
> would make it non-binary-clean, which isn't desirable).

However, I was previously running the same exact termcap off a msdos
filesystem with no problems. I just copied everything over and then
booted with testsh and changed a bunch of the access modes to let stuff
be readable and such.