Re: How I can get things going?

From: D.Jeske <jeske_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Jul 03 1995 - 00:56:02 PDT

> First, I need to do is, to setup my environment, what is the
> recommended setup and how do I get this thing done.

I just use the "vandys" account. I don't know what other people do, but I
don't do much "setup". I just toss it in and go to work.

> Second, I tried to compile a simple hello world, (cc -o test test.c)
> I got some errors, (it is expected) but then console got hungup. Well
> I can change to second console, but the first one just stays there. Infact
> this behaviour is reproduceable. I just used (go.bat) to boot vsta with
> default boot.lst. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know what is with the console hanging, you can try just doing
"ps" in the second console and then killing whatever is stuck. However,
you'll have better luck compiling stuff if you look at the makefile in
/vsta/bin.src/test. For some reason the "compile and link" cc dosn't work
exactly correctly.

> Once I get used the environment, I want to read the kernel source,
> and make some notes, in the following manner
> bootup
> move to higger mem
> loads kernel
> jump to magic address etc
> kernel startup
> init mem etc .. etc
>
> I am not sure it is useful to anyone but this exersice will
> give me better understanding of how vsta is implemented. I would appreciate
> if someone could give me guidance.

You can find a starting point for this information (and other things) on
the VSTa home page that I setup.

The boot process description is at:

http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~jeske/VSTa/Docs/BootProcess.html

As you might have guessed, the "home" for the VSTa page is:

http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~jeske/VSTa/

Definetly take a look through that stuff if you have not done so. If you
produce anything that is NOT in the documentation page, please email it
to me and I'll polish/HTMLify and include it.