Re: VSTa mounting and paths

From: David Jeske <jeske_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Jun 16 1995 - 12:56:43 PDT

> Mumble. I'm thinking about folding namer paths into the main open() code
> path. Currently they're distinct, and it's causing most of your confusion.
>
> The namer path should disk/wd. This maps a path to a port number. When you
> mount that port number in your namespace, the server at that port number
> looks like a directory tree. So disk/wd:wd0_dos0 is shorthand,
> conceptually, for "mount disk/wd on /FOO, and then open /FOO/wd0_dos0". I
> say conceptually, because it doesn't really join your filesystem namespace.

[Andrew's mounting explanation deleted]

That also cleared up some confusion I had about the whole disk/wd:??
bussiness. Into the FAQ it goes :)

However, it reinforces the previous thoughts I had. I assume (perhaps
incorrectly) that when you said you were thinking of folding namer paths
into the main open() code path that "disk/wd" would essentally be part of
the man open() code path, thus you could directly mount "disk/wd/wd0_dos0"
somewhere? While I think the shorthand and concept behind the
disk/wd:wd0_disk0 is slightly confusing (espectially before a proper
explanation), I think it would make more sense to keep the namer paths
separate, but allow them to work slightly more like normal paths,
in that "disk/wd/wd0_dos0 would mean to open "wd0_dos0" from the
server available in the namer path "disk/wd". Perhaps these things are nearly
mutually exclusive, or perhaps I'm still confused about how namer paths
are distinct from the main pathspace.

After having said that, I would like to test if I understand the idea
behind the current layout. If I were to create a second "namer" which would
make itself available in the "real" first namer, and then run wd and
have itself registered in the second namer, would it then be logical to
use "namer2:disk/wd:wd0_dos0" to refer to the partition?

If this concept is correct, then I understand the logic behind things
and I really think that just a good expanation is the real solution to the
confusion.

--
jeske_at_uiuc.edu   + David Jeske(N9LCA)<A HREF="http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~jeske/">
NeXTMail accepted + CompEng Student/NeXT Programmer/Call Gtalk at (708)998-0008
FromFrom vandys@puli.cisco.com  Mon Jun 19 18:31:05 1995