Re: Problem with kernel without debug

From: Dave Hudson <dave_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Feb 17 1995 - 04:16:41 PST

Hi,

Joerg Wittenberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> did anybody hit the same problem as me?

Yes - it's one of the things I clobbered in the 260k's worth of diffs I
mailed to Andy yesterday :-)

> Dave posted some very good timings, while I find the standard v133
> kernel eating something between 256 to 271 us per msg_send() (with
> some peaks down to 178us). Thus I thought I should meansure it for the
> kernel compiled without DEBUG.

Typically it costs us between 15 and 20%, although when you get in cache
handling on a 486 this can sometimes work for us and speed up some ops.
15-20 is a good rule of thumb.

> Easy to do: I removed the -DDEBUG from the makefile recompiled, booted
> by godb.bat and:

I can't remember exactly what the issue was here, but I think there was a
tlb flush operation that wasn't handled correctly. If you're interested I
can mail you my latest development kernel - this should be a much simpler
task than before as all the proc stuff from 1.3.3 will work with it.

                                Regards,
                                Dave