Multiple Architecture source tree

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Feb 12 1995 - 16:08:04 PST

Hi,

   I'm now merging my amiga code into the 1.3.3 source tree. In my
previous tree I took over the tree and made it work with my system.
This time around I'm trying to do it right to allow support for
several architectures in the same tree. Right now I have:

boot.amiga
boot.i386
bin.src
include/*
include/mach.i386
include/mach.amiga
libc/*
libc/mach.i386
libc/mach.amiga
os/*
os/dbg.i386
os/dbg.amiga
os/mach.i386
os/mach.amiga
srv/*
srv/mach.i386
srv/mach.amiga

etc... Andy mentioned that the machine dependant directories
would be symlinks. I am having some problems fitting into
this mold:

the os/make directory is a shared directory. I modified the
config program to take an optional arch parameter. This parameter
specifies a subdirectory to get the 'files', 'objs', 'make.head'
and 'make.tail' directories if specified. This allows the files
and definitions to be different for each arch.

libc. My libc makefile was hacked up a bit. The mach directory
under libc doesnt have a makefile and so the libc makefile
accesses the mach directory directly. I do not have the same
list of files in this directory as the i386 port. I also
make a libkern.a library and moved utility routines out of
locore.s. My 'ar' program also doesnt support all the same
flags and so I had added an ARFLAGS variable in my makefile
(this last problem is minor and will go away when I compile
native or use the same toolset). Anyway the end result
is that my makefile for libc is different in a few places
and cant easily be shared between archs. Is there a simple
solution?

I personally think a tree where all the mach dependant device
drivers, kernel code and librarires were under on directory
would be better.

                               Tim N.