VSTa 1.32 Booting Problems

From: David Koogler <koogler_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Jan 04 1995 - 09:46:19 PST

I have been trying to get VSTa 1.32 to boot on my i486 system, but the system
dies with a kernel assertion failure:

        Assertion failed line 81 file ../kern/msgcon.c
        deref_port: messages

Using 'proc' it looks like the namer is dying (it is the only process marked as
ONPROC).

I am trying to boot "right out of the box" without making any changes to
/etc/fstab or /etc/inittab. The only change I have made was in boot.lst where
I explicitly defined the hard disk parameters "wd:977:5:17". The box is a
fairly
run-of-the-mill PC clone, and I have turned off its shadow RAM. I have been
able to run Linux 1.0.9 on the box without any problems.

Now what can I do?

--
David Koogler (koogler@bedford.progress.com)