Re: Stopping file servers

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Nov 25 1994 - 08:23:52 PST

[Ronald Oussoren <roussor@cs.vu.nl> writes:]

>Is there a way to cleanly stop a file server (that is stop the file server,
>and remove its name from the namer)?

Namer currently does not track server deaths. All VSTa servers to this
point are written so you can just kill them; I'd like to keep this semantic
as UNIX's shutdown/fsck/lost+found tedium has caused a lot of grief over the
years.

I've looked at making namer track registered server deaths; so far I haven't
been able to convince myself that a kernel mechanism is called for. As it
stands now you try to mount the server name and you get a failure. With
server death tracking you still get a failure. The only difference is that
an "ls" of the namer will show the entry. Is it worth more ring 0 code just
to cover a relatively minor exception condition?

                                                Andy

FromFrom vandys@glare.cisco.com Sat Nov 26 07:40:17 1994
>> point are written so you can just kill them; I'd like to keep this semantic
>> as UNIX's shutdown/fsck/lost+found tedium has caused a lot of grief id RAA01327 for vsta@cisco.com; Sat, 26 Nov 1994 17:03:47 +0100
> Namer currently does not track server deaths. All VSTa servers to this
> point are written so you can just kill them; I'd like to keep this semantic
> as UNIX's shutdown/fsck/lost+found tedium has caused a lot of grief over the
> years.

Does this mean that all seover the
>> years.
>Does this mean that all servers should be synchronous or am I misunderstanding
>this ?

There are several ways to deal with this. Write ordering, synchronous
operation, and database-style journalling all work. Actually, even sync-on-
last-close is sufficient; I'm not looking for Tandem-style guarantees here!

                                                Andy

rvers should be synchronous or am I misunderstanding
this ?

Regards,
Robert.