Re: Process lists

From: Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Nov 15 1994 - 13:48:15 PST

[Andrew Valencia <vandys@cisco.com> writes:]

>[Dave Hudson <dave@humbug.demon.co.uk> writes:]

>>What I was thinking was to have a single directory of "process files". What
>>I'm not sure about is the format these should take. ...

I've made a little progress on a /proc filesystem server, experimenting with
very basic things. The current state is that "cat /proc/*/cmd" looks very
similar to the output of "ps".

>>The problem comes with things like the count of threads, process name,
>>elapsed times, etc, and how we represent them.

>I vote for text. Makes it easier to share resources across different
>processor types.

I vote for text as well.

One complication with the VSTa implementation of threads is that a single
process (i.e., /proc/n directory) may correspond to several threads. I
think Plan 9 "threads" are actually separate processes that happen to share
an address space. This makes "echo stop > /proc/n/ctl" unambiguous; in VSTa,
we will need something like "echo 'stop x' > /proc/n/ctl" to specify the
thread within the process.

>>I'd like to be clear on what if anything I may want to add to the pstat()
>>syscall to implement the proc fs well before I submit my large kernel diff
>>collection.

Currently there is no way to specify the pid of interest, so I have to scan
them all. It would be nice to be able to just get the one I want.

Bjorn