Re: IRQ's in Amiga VSTa

From: Christopher Fraser <chrisf_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Nov 11 1994 - 23:08:24 PST

But I thought Francois-Rene Rideau said:

> > A parser in the kernel. I'm getting the shivers! :-)
> Why not use a FORTH inside the kernel ?
> Or even use the OpenBoot bytecode FORTH thing.
> That would be great !
> FORTH is small, a complete FORTH system, including parser, is < 16 KB.

16 KB isn't especially cheap for a 40 KB microkernel, and then
there's the question of whether FORTH can access all the machine
instructions it needs to solve the original problem.

For the weight of a FORTH interpreter I'd rather see a way of
dynamically linking new object code into the kernel. You could then
specify a dynamically (or staticly) linked kernel kernel function
as the hander routine for a given interrupt. This would be a
reasonably general mechanism for kernel extensibility, but still
kind of expensive for a small microkernel. P-code seems the
way to go for the moment.

Cheers,

Christopher.