swap; sanity checking; list addres change

From: Gary Shea <shea_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Nov 06 1994 - 14:47:23 PST

First, I would appreciate it if I could get my list address
changed to shea@xmission.com... my Novell address is a bit
unstable.

Second, has anyone got swap to work under any conditions?
I am having real trouble getting vsta built, since it
apparently needs more than 4 Megs in various places. It
blows up about 15 times in the course of the build. I have
tried swap with DOS partitions but it crashes the
system. I'm making a good faith effort here -- I went out
and bought 2 more Meg of memory and a 520 Meg disk!

Finally, the hard question. I need to map a word into kernel
space and change it. The user passes the system call
the address of the word. I need to make sure the user isn't
passing me something that should not be changed. My guess is
I should scan through the pview's for that user's process, looking
for one that applies to the word's address (can there be more
than one?). If p_prot == 0 I won't be compromising security.
Then I need to actually change the word. I'm not clear on how
to do that... I can't find any examples to steal! I'm guessing
that I need to somehow map the user's page into kernel space,
do the change, then destroy the mapping. Can anyone point me to
some code?

Thanks

        Gary