VSTa boot

From: <yogo_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sat Nov 05 1994 - 02:06:19 PST

I got VSTa up and running on its own 10Mb DOS partition; I really don't like
it this way, booting into dos in order to get VSTa. Also, I can't boot
directly from its own fs.

I saw somewhere in the digest files someone is working on an ext2fs (linux)
server, and on booting code which doesn't need dos. I wonder what is the
status of these.

Booting up seems quite simple, assuming vstafs leaves the first sector
available as a boot sector. Current boot.exe jobs should be divided: one
tool for parsing boot.lst, checking what files are to be loaded, and
creating list of physical disk blocks for each file. This list is patched
on top of a boot sector loader, which simply reads blocks of data using BIOS
services. It is also possible to save pointers to physical pos of each file,
and have the files stored in 1 block, but this might be incompatible with
some filesystems.

If nobody else is on to this, I'll start with it.

--
yossi (yogo@math.tau.ac.il)