Re: Random comments

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Nov 02 1994 - 08:13:43 PST

[Dave Hudson <dave@humbug.demon.co.uk> writes:]

>FWIW the "xxx~" files are created by strip, and using cp to copy the new
>version of the file over the old one still leaves the file with the same
>FID.

Dave and I talked about the changes needed to allow uncaching when a file is
truncated. It's only tedious, not hard. See the treatment for removal if
you want to see what's involved.

>This is true for most CPUs, but it breaks other systems (they lock up).
>Linux now defaults to using hlt, but has to provide a boot-time switch to
>disable it for some systems. I just took a quick look at the Linux kernel
>and it would appear that the kernel will hang with the message "Checking
>'hlt' instruction... " if this doesn't work.

We could leave the default the conservative one, and allow switches to be
passed to specify the other.

This requires boot.exe hackery, but since we want to increase the buffer
size I have to break out Borland C again anyway, so I may as well enhance it
to allow some flags to be passed. I think we also want a flag to indicate
MGA text for the on-screen kernel debugger.

                                                Andy