Re: Copyrights

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Sep 29 1994 - 06:45:35 PDT

[Dave Hudson <dave@humbug.demon.co.uk> writes:]

>The Linux crowd thrashed this one around for a while and in the end moved
>all of the libc code over to LGPL'd stuff (coding replacements for GPL'd
>things) and then placed the crt0 file under a BSD style copyright since it's
>the thing that must be linked with the user's software.

With shared libraries we can go one better. I'm pretty sure that I can set
things up so that the stub library--which is all that is linked with the
application--is public domain. I *think* I can even get crt0 into the
shared library. This would allow people to generate commercial products
with a minimum of hassle.

BTW, I have shared libraries working under VSTa. Right now I'm fiddling
with a second-level shared library loader. The extra level of indirection
is so that the policy of loading can be updated by replacing the
second-level loader.

                                                        Andy