Re: fdisk utility and others

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Sep 28 1994 - 17:56:48 PDT

[jacob@divi.com (Jacob Yu) writes:]

>Currently I have VSTA 1.3.1 installed (from vandys/vsta at ftp.cisco.com) and
>I couldn't find the "mount" command from the "/vsta/bin" or any of the *.tz
>files. Is there newer release of VSTA?

Since mount tables are per-process and inherited, it has to be a shell
built-in. I could've *sworn* we had added it to all shells by 1.3.1....

>Maybe I see the "banner" file a little different here. I though the "banner"
>file was like the "motd" file and will be printed out to the screen when
>the machine first came up. Is there other way to customize the login prompt?

Nope, we have motd too. Banner is emitted before the login prompt.

>Will 1.3.2 be available any time soon? Also, is there anything I can help
>with? I am currently running two 486 PC's connected by a Lantastic network.

1.3.2 is on the home stretch. I have shared libraries working (plus or
minus a bug) and am rebuilding all the binaries, things like that. Out in a
week, I'd guess.

>Sorry, this is my mistake and yes, I have read the copyright statement. Also,
>is there a porting going on for 68K? What is the possiblity of using VSTA in
>a commerical word? For instance, use it in a demo package for MPEG-2
>decoder development kit?

There is a 68030 port coming alive. I understand it boots and even runs
processes. I think a disk driver is in the works next.

Commercial products based on VSTa... the copyleft license answers this.
Rather than hash this over again, I'd recommend reading the gnu newsgroups.
I believe they have a FAQ which covers this in depth. The short answer is
that there are restrictions, but many companies have lived within them and
offered commercial products.

                                                        Andy