Re: sites, newsgroup, etc.

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Sep 25 1994 - 14:30:04 PDT

["Michael M. Chapman" <mike@hopper.itc.virginia.edu> writes:]

>To encourage large scale porting of software and development,
>perhaps we should have a standard site with an incoming dir
>for people to put stuff they've already ported in.

Sounds good!

>Also, a newsgroup would be *great* - I've been telling everyone
>I can to try out VSTa, but that would help spread the word
>even better.

Well, I asked around a bit. The "rule of thumb" is that a mailing list is
ripe for conversion to a newsgroup when it reaches 500 people. We're at
150, which is why I haven't really been pushing this idea.

>Some coordination and easier access to ported software and
>different distributions would be GREAT. What does everyone
>think?

We have an offer of some space on a Linux machine which will soon be
installed. I also am pursuing the possibility of placing a VSTa server on
the Internet via a site in Palo Alto, California. The former would clearly
have fewer initial glitches; the latter shakes out the software for us.

I'm well into coding of the equivalent of "ld.so" right now; the utility to
create the mappable libraries is done and working. When it works I'm going
to recompile everything (except boot servers), package it up, and call it
v1.3.1.

                                                Andy