1.4, mounting, and more

From: yhcrana <dd002b_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Aug 23 1994 - 09:40:59 PDT

> There's also bugs in the 1.3.1 code for less and the pipe server - Andy's
> had the fixes for 1.4. If you're interested I can mail them to you (the
> problems were in keyboard handling for less and messaging code for pipe).

when should 1.4 be released?

> I must admit that having a generic keyboard remapping facility would be nice
> - it's on my list of "good ideas" but I don't have the time at the moment,
> and I managed to get my hands on a US 101 key keyboard so that helped!
>
> If it's done as a library then adding it to cons and any windowing system
> will be easy.

i will look at it, but do not expect to get to much for a while, i am about
to move...

> > >7) is it possible to make /vsta be root, rather than / ? (thus i don's have
> > >such a mess in my root...the boot partition is 200meg and has plenty of dos
> > >stuff also..)
> >

> Create a subdir called /vsta/vsta on the DOS drive and unpack everything
> into that instead of /vsta, and then instead of mounting fs/root as /, mount
> fs/root:vsta as / instead.
>
> I just tried:
>
> mount fs/root:windows /w
>
> and I now magically have my windows directory mounted at /w
>
> This wouldn't remove the need for a "vsta" path, but it would clear the
> remaining dos code out of the root directory. It'd be pretty simple to then
> mount the whole partition as say /dos.

this is what i was looking for... but i dont seem to have a "mount" command,
and when i tried to create one last night, it killed 'root' (the process)
and i was dumped into the debugger

> > >8) what is the status of VstaFS and MADO? is VstaFS reliable?
> >

> I'm not quite sure how far Gavin's got with MADO, but I brought up some
> generic VGA display code yesterday. The code's based on the XFree86 video
> drivers to make bringing up SVGA support easier. Hopefully by the end of
> the week we'll have a video library, with BitBlt in the next few weeks.

i am looking at buying a system (the one i use now is on loan), and would
like to get a video accelerator (i wasnt to play with some 3-d GUI stuff)
anyone have experience with taking advatage of various accelerators...what
does xfree (or x for linux..etc...but i don't think they are different?)
know about? (so i can steal their code)

> > Additionally, Dave ported GNU ls. But, of course, it doesn't understand the
> > extended protection information.
>
> Ah, there are two versions of GNU ls in the code I ported - one's a pretty
> faithful Unix hack-alike (gls), but the other one (vls) handles all of the
> VSTa subtleties as well - even does pretty formatting too :-)

pretty please tell me where i can get these...

> > On another note, I have all of KA9Q compiling, and am hacking my way through
> > the undefined symbols. My plan for distributed source access is to export a
> > filesystem under VSTa, and let folks use RCS. So... the distributed aspects
> > of VSTa are imminent.
>
> Now there's a piece of code to make me want to get some PCMCIA modem code
> written :-)

what is KA9Q?

how many people have gotten vsta to work on a portable....
(i am trying to decide on buying a portable, so the machine can follow me,
or a fast desktop...

thanx
derek

    You should fear any bureaucratic entity that claims to work for you.
 derek denny-brown (yhcrana) dd002b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
    chief engineer, WRUR derdb@cs.rochester.edu